Thursday, June 23, 2011

Kung Fu Panda 2

Kung Fu Panda 2 (2011)*
  • Directed by Jennifer Yuh Nelson
  • Produced by Melissa Cobb, Guillermo del Toro
  • Starring Jack Black, Angelina Jolie, Dustin Hoffman, Gary Oldman

Thoughts!
  • Mini-mini review: This movie was aite.
  • Mini-review: This movie definitely got me excited from the spectacular action, but failed to instill other emotions to actually make this a solid movie.
  • Review (with SPOILERS): I liked the first Kung Fu Panda. It was simple, straight-forward, a little funny, and the animation was great. This one was all that too... just not as well-done. This film was about Po's identity, but the whole theme seemed to be pushed aside in favor of following the story of "getting the bad guy!". The director never really concentrated on Po's inner-conflict, so when he finally says the line "I'm your son" at the end of the movie, I was like "WHAT did I miss the entire film?! How did he come to that conclusion!?". But honestly, everyone kind of knew it was going to happen because it was SUPPOSED to happen. Which I guess makes a non-existent character arch acceptable?
  • Review pt2 (no spoilers): The action was amazing - I'd even go as far to say "inspiring". But I never felt scared for the characters because everything they did was just so awesome. They were never really in danger. I also never felt worried, sad, or even elated. Just excited.
  • Review pt3 (no spoilers): I think this is how Kung Fu Panda 2 was made: A bunch of awesome storyboard artists got together to make an awesome kung fu film. They added some lesson learning blahblah in there for the kids, but forgot to add compelling non-fighting scenes that showed the development of the character. What they got was a great animated movie, but not a great movie movie.
  • The 2D parts were super fly.
  • Gary Oldman's Peacock character was also super fly. (A pun and a fact.)
  • I think the best fight scene was the first one.
Trailer!

No comments:

Post a Comment