Thursday, June 23, 2011

The Blues Brothers

The Blues Brothers (1980)
  • Directed by John Landis (Nation Lampoon's Animal House, Trading Places, Spies Like Us Three Amigos, Coming to America, Thriller [MJ music video])
  • Produced by Bernie Brillstein, George Folsey Jr., David Sosna, Robert K. Weiss
  • Starring John Belushi, Dan Aykroyd

Thoughts!
  • One of the reasons I Netflix'd this movie was because I knew the name, knew the references, but never really knew the movie (like most of my Netflix movies). And now I can finally say I've seen The Blues Brothers!.. but honestly, I thought it was a little disappointing.
  • First of all, I was confused as to what genre this was. I THOUGHT it was a comedy, but the jokes were few and far between. Then there were some long musical numbers, but not enough to be considered a musical. (It turns out that this *is* a comedy, just not one with many funny parts.)
  • The best scenes were when Carrie Fischer (Princess Leia) kept trying to kill the two brothers. Everything else seemed uneventful, even though things happened. The dancing/singing numbers were decent. The car chases were okay, although incredibly/stupidly and over the top. COPS DON'T JUST DRIVE THROUGH MALLS AND CRASH INTO STORES... eh maybe this film just wasn't for me. The 80s antics were too ridiculous.
  • Dan Aykroyd had a great accent.
  • Favorite quote I should use some day: "We're on a mission from God."
  • The Illinois Neo-Nazis had a lot of potential to be funny... but nope.
  • I think what really prevented this movie from just being baaad was the epic ending. The ending was really cool.
Here's the trailer. Let me know what genre you think it is...


No comments:

Post a Comment